The latest Joan devices are Bluetooth enabled, thus allowing the configuration via the mobile app.
If your device does not have Bluetooth or you wish to configure it using USB cable, you can download the Joan Configurator for desktop application here.
The Joan Configurator for mobile app is available for iOS and Android.
- Search for Joan Configurator in Google Play Store or scan the QR code below with your Android smartphone.
- Search for Joan Configurator in AppStore or scan the QR code below with your iPhone.
If you just got a brand new Joan device, please wake the Bluetooth module up. When shipped, the devices are in special, deep sleep mode. You can wake it up by plugging the device with the supplied USB cable into the computer or by using the power brick (not included with the device) to electricity.
How to configure the device
- Open the Joan Configurator mobile app.
- Once opened, the app will automatically scan for nearby Joan devices via Bluetooth. If prompted, please enable permissions and turn on Bluetooth on your smartphone.
If the app does not automatically scan for devices, simply tap “Scan” in the top right corner.
- After a successful scan, a list of all nearby Joan devices will appear. At the top list of you will see Joan devices that have yet to be connected and below that the devices that have already been configured and are connected to the wi-fi and Joan servers.
- Locate the Joan device which you wish to configure and tap on it.
- You will be prompted with a Bluetooth pairing request. You will need to accept the request in order to connect to the Joan device
- Once paired, the app will begin reading data from the device and a LED backlight will turn on.
- To start configuring Wi-Fi, click on "Network" and wait for the Joan device to scan all Wi-Fi networks nearby. If the network that you wish to connect to is hidden, simply type in the SSID in the “Other” field at the top.
- Select the security type of the network. Joan supports WPA2-PSK and, WPA2-EAP or Open.
- Enter the password of the network (for WPA2-PSK) or for enterprise security (WPA2-EAP) set the correct details required by your network.
- The hosting server will be automatically set, however, if you wish to change it simply tap on it and select the desired server from the provided list.
In case you wish to connect the device to an on-premises server, tap the server from the configuration screen, and enter the IP of your server at the very top of the screen.
Once satisfied with the input, tap “Set” in the top right corner
And that’s it! The device will now begin the configuration process and connect to the Wi-Fi and the desired server.
Alternative configuration options
For older devices without Bluetooth please use see this article on how to configure the device with a USB cable.
Should experience any issues during the configuration process, double-check the network credentials. If this does not resolve it, please take a screenshot of the app and reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to help.