iCalendar users can prepare JOAN for use in 4 easy steps, by:
- Preparing iCalendar for use
- Connecting JOAN to iCalendar
- Connecting JOAN to the Wi-Fi network
- Confirming your settings and connecting a room
Before using JOAN with iCalendar, either within an already existing calendar account or before creating a new user account, you will need to make sure that you have an iCalendar (.ical) URL for each room you want to connect.
These URLs must be publicly accessible. Look for the .ical URLs in your calendar settings or sharing settings.
iCalendar allows users to send meeting requests via email, or sharing files with an extension of .ics. It is a great generic calendar alternative, supported by a large number of products, including Google Calendar, Apple Calendar, IBM Lotus Notes, Yahoo! Calendar and others.
There are 2 ways of connecting your room to JOAN with the iCalendar format:
1. Use your existing calendar account
Use your existing account that saw you connect JOAN to either the G Suite (Google Apps), Office 365 or Microsoft Exchange calendar 2016, 2013 or 2010. Add a new room resource to any of these calendars by adding a room manually, entering the iCalendar URL as the room resource email:
- Add a room manually in G Suite (Google Apps)
- Add a room manually in Office 365 or Microsoft Exchange 2013
- Add a room manually in Microsoft Exchange 2010
Because your calendar is already connected to JOAN, you don’t need to do anything else. JOAN will now display all the meeting information for your room using the .ical format without the need to repeat the onboarding process in the JOAN Portal.
2. Create a new user account in the JOAN Portal
Create a new account in the JOAN Portal that will see you connect JOAN to the iCalendar format.
Enter your contact details and select the hosting for JOAN. If you want JOAN to be hosted in the cloud, enter your credit card details before proceeding to the next step. At the "Calendar" step, select iCalendar.
In the next step, you will enter the URLs of your room resources in the.ical format and connect your room calendars. Click "Save" and you’re done – your room is now connected to JOAN.
Next, the JOAN Portal will lead you through the steps necessary to connect your JOAN device to the wireless network you want to use for JOAN to communicate.
Please note that the quality of your Wi-Fi network will significantly influence the performance of JOAN, with poor or unstable connections resulting in diminished functionality and poor battery life.
If you’re having issues with your wireless connection, please contact support firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help you diagnose the issue.
The Wi-Fi is configured with the help of the JOAN Configurator, an app available in the JOAN Portal (see the upper right to download) which syncs your wireless network settings with an individual JOAN device.
Connecting JOAN to your Wi-Fi takes place in 3 easy steps:
1. Connect your JOAN device to the computer
Connect JOAN to the computer via the enclosed Micro-USB cable. Gently shake the device to wake it.
2. Run the JOAN Configurator
Run the JOAN Configurator from the JOAN Portal or download it for
3. Enter the details of your wireless connection into the app
Next, select the Wi-Fi network you want to use and choose between the different Wi-Fi encryption types supported:
- If you are running an open network, simply select JOAN's hosting and click "Save."
Open networks are supported in all JOAN devices: Manager and Executive, Board, Premium and Classroom.
- If you are connecting to an encrypted network (WPA2-PSK), enter your Wi-Fi password into the JOAN Configurator and then select JOAN's hosting. Please note, however, that the Wi-Fi password is limited to 31 characters only.
WPA2-PSK is supported in all JOAN devices: Manager and Executive, Board, Premium and Classroom.
- If you require enterprise encryption (WPA2-EAP), begin by entering your Wi-Fi password into the JOAN Configurator. The password is limited to 31 characters only. Next, enter the RADIUS username and password of your server and upload the necessary certificates. If you are unsure about which certificates or RADIUS credentials to use, please contact your IT department or JOAN support at email@example.com.
- Finally, select JOAN's hosting.
WPA2-EAP is supported in JOAN Executive, Board, Premium and Classroom devices only.
If all the details entered are correct, JOAN will now connect to your wireless network. Repeat this process for all of your JOAN devices, and click "Continue" in the JOAN Portal when you are done.
You can edit the Wi-Fi settings at any time by accessing the JOAN Configurator again, under "Manage" > "Devices" in the JOAN Portal.
Once you have successfully connected your JOAN device to the Wi-Fi network, unplug JOAN from the USB cable and your JOAN device will display a unique PIN number in approximately 1 minute. Enter this number into the JOAN Portal and JOAN will connect to the calendar account you have just set up.
If the PIN entered is correct, you will then be able to connect your JOAN device to an individual room. Select the room you want JOAN to manage from a dropdown list of rooms available, set the room’s time zone and click "Save."
JOAN is now ready to show the room’s events. Repeat this step for every device you want to pair.
You can always edit your rooms by logging into the JOAN Portal, where you will be presented with a list of all of your paired JOAN devices and the rooms they manage. To change or connect a room, select the desired room from the dropdown menu beside the chosen device and click "Save" at the bottom of the page.
To edit the list of rooms that appear in the dropdown menu, go to "Manage" > "Resources/Rooms" to scan for rooms again or add/remove them from the JOAN Portal.