Note: This feature is available only with the Premium subscription plan. Click here to learn more.
Take advantage of voice-activated meeting room reservations with Amazon Alexa for business.
There are a few steps in the integration process:
- Create an Amazon Web Services (AWS) account
- Create a policy in AWS
- Create a user
- Device setup tool (Only for Windows OS)
- Create a room with a skill group
- Connect your calendar resource
Create an Amazon Web Services (AWS) account
- Visit https://portal.aws.amazon.com/billing/signup#/start
- Enter your email and set a password
- Enter more information such as your full name, company name, etc.
- Next, enter your credit card information
- At this point it's necessary to “Confirm your identity”, to be able to proceed with creating your account. To do so, go to this link, and enter your phone number. Shortly after submitting your number, you will receive a phone call from an Amazon representative to confirm your identity
- After the account is created it can take up to 24 hours to fully activate
Create a policy in AWS
Once your account is fully activated, you can proceed to create a policy in AWS.
- Go to your IAM dashboard
- Create a new policy
Create a user
- From inside your IAM dashboard, go to Users
- Click “Add User” and name it "A4B SetupTool"
- Select “Attach existing policies directly” and in the next step give users permission to create policies
- You can skip the “Add User tags” option
- Review the created user
- After reviewing the created user, the last screen will prompt you to download the .csv file. Copy the “Access Key ID” and “Secret access key”
Device setup tool (Only for Windows OS)
Go to Alexa for Business, navigate to “Shared devices” and press “Set up device”
This will prompt a screen to download the “Device Setup Tool”
After you download the tool and run it, you will be prompted to insert the “Access key ID” and “Secret access key”
After that, enter the SSID, encryption type and the password of the Wi-Fi network
This process will disconnect your computer from the network, connect to the device, feed the Wi-Fi information to the device and link it to your Alexa for Business
After that, you should see the added device in your “Devices dashboard”
Create a room with a skill group
Now you need to create a room and pair your device with it.
- Go over to AWS Create a room and fill in the room details
- Add your added device
- Skip adding a skill, and click “Create room”
- Go to Skill Groups and click on “Create skill group” and type in the name and a description
- Edit the skill group by clicking on the skill group name
- Add a skill by pressing on the “Add Skill” button
- Finish by adding the room you created earlier to this “Skill group”
- Your room now contains the Joan skill
Connect your calendar resource
Firstly, make sure you have everything set in the Joan Portal (that your calendar solution is connected and your room resources added), and that your Joan device is displaying the calendar properly.
- In the AWS dashboard, go to the “Calendar” tab, and select your “Calendar system”
- Connect it using “Service account using delegate access”
- Go back to the “Rooms” tab and select your previously set room to edit it
- Edit your existing room resource by pressing the “Edit” button on the top right corner, add a room resource direct email under “Room calendar” email, and save it
- Scroll down and edit the “Configuration” of Joan skill and “Set scope” to the same room resource set in the previous step
And that’s it! You have successfully integrated Joan with Amazon Alexa for business.