Are you setting up Joan for the first time in your office? You've come to the right place! Our step-by-step guide will walk you through the entire setup process.
The Joan setup process consists of five main steps:
- Create a Joan Portal account
- Select your Joan solution
- Select your calendar solution
- Add rooms and resources
- Pair your device
- Select a subscription plan
Before beginning the setup process, it's important to ensure that your office's Wi-Fi meets Joan's network requirements. You can find these requirements listed here for your convenience.
Create a Joan Portal account
To get started, we kindly ask you to create a Joan Portal account.
The Joan Portal serves as a centralized hub for managing all aspects of your Joan system. From device and room resource management to enabling/disabling features and controlling your subscription plan and billing information, the Joan Portal has got you covered.
To ensure accessibility for all potential users of the Joan Portal, we recommend using an email address that everyone can access, such as firstname.lastname@example.org. The only other variable required for account creation is your new password. While we only require a minimum of 6 characters for your password, we highly recommend using a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers to maximize the security of your account.
Select your calendar solution
It's now time to connect your preferred calendar solution to your Joan Portal.
Joan currently supports the following popular calendar solutions:
- Google Workspace
- Microsoft Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016 (Outlook)
- Microsoft Office 365
- iCalendar (.ics)
To get started, simply click on the link for your preferred calendar solution from the list above to access detailed instructions on how to create and connect your calendar to your Joan Portal.
Please keep in mind that only one calendar solution can be connected to your Joan Portal account at a time. Additionally, make sure that the calendar account allows Joan edit permissions and that the account you're connecting to the Portal has the correct permissions for that calendar.
Add rooms and resources
Once you have selected your preferred calendar solution, you will need to add resource calendars to your portal. These are the shared spaces, like meeting rooms or desks, that you want Joan to help you manage and keep track of.
Joan will automatically scan your calendar account to find any available rooms or resources that can be synced with your Joan Portal.
Please note: Clicking Autoscan rooms will pick up all room resources (for which you have the correct permissions) from your calendar, and add them to your Joan portal account. This can cause unpleasantries, especially if you have, for example, 50+ rooms, but only want 7 rooms in the Joan portal.
If the resource does not show up, you might want to add it manually by clicking “+Add a room” and inputting the calendar’s email / ID.
Once you have added or selected a room resource, you can also customize and provide more information about the resources you wish to connect to your Joan Portal with options such as:
- Room name
Keep in mind that some of these options are limited to Professional and Enterprise subscription plans.
If you don't have any resources to add just yet, don't worry! You can always move on to the next step and add your resources later in the Joan Portal.
Pair your device
It is finally time to pair a device to your Joan Portal account. This can be a Joan 6 Pro, Joan 6, or Joan 13 device. You can as well connect your own display via the Joan on Display or Joan on Tablets functionality
- The first step is to configure and connect your device to your Wi-Fi network via the Joan Configurator mobile app. For instructions on how to do so, please click here.
- After successfully connecting to your Wi-Fi network and disconnecting the Micro-USB cable, a PIN code should appear on the screen of the device.
- Click the “+ Add device” button in the Joan Portal and enter the PIN. Be careful, the PIN code is case-sensitive.
- Clicking “Pair device” will lead you to a new “Edit device” screen where you can select the device’s functionality depending on which device you paired. For information on what functionalities are available, click here.
- Once you selected the dedicated resource calendar for the specific device, click “Save”. You can now also add more of your devices to your Joan Portal.
- If you do not have any more devices, clicking “Next” will finish the onboarding process and you will be transferred to the Joan Portal.
And that’s it! Congratulations on your new Joan Portal account. If this is you are new to the Joan system, you will be provided with a 30-day trial period with all features available. To learn more about the trial period, click here.
Select a subscription plan
You can subscribe to one of the available plans already during your trial period. To do so, follow these steps:
- Log in to Joan Portal with your account credentials
- Navigate to the “Settings” page via the top navigation menu.
- Select “Plans & Billing” from the left-hand side menu
- Click Choose Subscription plan
- Select your desired plan by clicking "Get Essentials", "Get Professional", or "Get Enterprise". To learn more about what each plan has to offer in terms of features and functionalities, click here
- A new "Cost estimate" page will appear. Here you will see a complete breakdown of your monthly/yearly subscription costs based on the selected plan, the number of devices connected to your account and tax (if applicable).
- Click "Confirm" to confirm your subscription.
If you need any additional assistance, please reach out to email@example.com.